STEP SEVEN - THE OAP CALLS / MEETINGS
How are you doing
You’ve done a lot of work to get here and knowing where you’re going to and having your goals plan is great!
But during the road, you will discover that this plan needs to be adjusted. Sometimes even totally changed.
There are two rules for that:
➢ We adjust the plan each 90 days.
➢ We don’t change the plan during the next 90 days.
During the 90 days we have to stick with what we have committed to and don’t change the plan or the action goals.
That is to say, we focus on the actions that need to be taken and avoid as much as possible “analysis-paralysis” situations.
In this step we explain how to perform:
➢ The Yearly goal setting meeting
➢ The Quarterly goal meeting
➢ The Weekly review
➢ The daily goals visualizations (optional but highly recommended) If you start now, the most important meeting is the weekly meeting.
If you do one thing from this system, do this – call your OAP each week to discuss your goals.
The weekly OAP calls
Duration: 20 minutes
Frequency: each week
This is simple but super effective. We call each other, but you can meet if you prefer. Call your OAP each week at the same time (e.g. Sunday evening or Monday morning);
Limit the duration to 20min.
You will be tempted to make it longer. Just stick to the process and after you have finished, you can discuss in detail;
Start with a review of last week’s tasks.;
1. List what has been completed successfully to gain confidence;
2. List what you planned but did not complete (if you have such tasks). Your OAP will ask you 3 questions: why? what? how?
3. Why didn’t you complete this task?
4. What did you learn from this?
5. How can you do it better next time?
6. You list only one next action for each Action goal and commit to complete these tasks;
Switch roles with your OAP and repeat the process.
The quarterly OAP meeting
Duration: 1/2 day
Frequency: each 90 days
1. Set the date of the next quarterly meeting with your OAP.
2. Put this date in your calendar (or whatever you use) and block it.
3. Start by gaining confidence.
Repeat step 1 – “The Confidence Fuel Tank“
4. Skip step 2 – you do this only during the yearly review.
5. Do a quick review of step 3 – “The What I Truly want”. Update if necessary.
6. Repeat step 4 – “The Vision Gameplan” for each vision and choose a maximum of 3-5 action goals with a deadline within 90 days. The fewer, the better!
7. Finish with a clear list of action goals with one next action for each goal;
8. Review the First Next Steps process with your OAP. What is working for you? What needs to be improved?
The yearly Outside Accountability Partner meeting
Duration: 1 day
Frequency: once per year Best time is between Christmas and New Year’s eve.
Set the date of the next quarterly meeting with your OAP.
Put this date in your calendar (or whatever you use) and block it.
1. Start by gaining confidence. Repeat step 1 – “The Confidence Fuel Tank“
2. Repeat the exercises from step 2 – “The True Goals Discovery”. It’s good to do them once per year.
3. Update “The What I Truly Want list”.
4. Repeat step 4 – “The Vision Gameplan” for each vision and choose a maximum of 3-5 action goals with a deadline within 90 days. The fewer, the better!
5. Finish with a clear list of action goals with one next action for each goal;
6. Review the First Next Steps process with your OAP. What is working for you? What needs to be improved?